Protections are in place if you are nearing retirement to ensure that you will get a pension at least equal to that which you would have received if the scheme had it not changed on 1 April 2014. This protection is known as the ‘underpin’.
- paying into the Scheme on 31 March 2012,
- you were within 10 years of your Normal Pension Age on 1 April 2012,
- you haven’t had a disqualifying break in service of more than 5 years,
- you’ve not drawn any benefits in the LGPS before Normal Pension Age and
- you leave with an immediate entitlement to benefits.