You qualify for a refund of your pension contributions if you leave the Scheme on or after 1 April 2014 with;
- less than 2 years qualifying membership, and
- have not transferred in any benefits, and
- do not already hold a deferred benefit in the LGPS.
Your length of service will depend who gives you your refund:
- Less than 3 months: Your employer (or their payroll bureau) will refund you through the payroll system as if you were never a member of the scheme.
- More than 3 months (and less than 2 years): The Pensions Service will refund your pension contributions less tax and a deduction for National Insurance.
You will not receive a refund of your employers contributions.
As an alternative to your refund you have the option of transferring out your benefits, please see our page called Transferring from the LGPS.
If you are unsure which benefit to take, you can delay your decision in taking a refund until you either re-join the LGPS, join a new pension scheme or you want to take your refund.
If you wish to claim your refund, please complete a Refund Claim Form available from the Forms and Resources page.